Thursday, January 22, 2009

Navidad




I haven't spend Christmas in Peru for 5 years but I always remember a lot of family and food, Christmas Eve we have dinner at midnight, yes we stay up late, that's why Santa never goes to my house 'cause we are all awake, only kids 0-12 get presents, the bigger kids get new clothes or money, if you are lucky you get both.
Well this Navidad was different of what I remembered, my dad every navidad for years now does an event for kids in need and give out toys to them.
Stephen, my dad and some workers went to pass out some tickets (for a free show and toys) to some of the poor areas in my city. They saw a little girl rocking a bottle that was swaddle with a piece of fabric, she was using it as her doll, it was heartbreaking they said.
We can't tell you how great we feel after this event, this is what Christmas is about, making someone happy and giving the best of us.
Now I will remember Navidad with those kids smiles and I will go to bed early so Santa can sneak in our house and leaves us some gifts.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

What a special experience. We're so glad you're back!

Nicole said...

That sounds very fulfilling. Steven is licky to have been able to participate in something like that. I'm glad to see you guys still updating your blog, and commenting on mine as well. Put some stuff in you blog about Steve and his school. I'll bet you are excited for him to graduate. See you guys later. Mike